Gambling Addiction Counselling and Therapy
If you or a loved one is experiencing gambling addiction, also known as compulsive gambling or gambling disorder, it can become a very serious problem that destroys lives. Professional treatment can help gambling addicts overcome their urges and take back control over their lives.
Those who gamble compulsively are uncontrollably drawn to continue gambling despite heavy losses, as the act of gambling is designed to stimulate the brain’s reward system.
Signs of a problematic gambling addiction include:
- Getting a thrill from taking big gambling risks
- Increasingly bigger gambling risks
- Obsession with gambling
- Reliving past gambling experiences
- Hiding the gambling behaviour
- Depleting savings and going into debt
- Borrowing, stealing, or committing fraud to support the gambling
- Gambling feels like an escape from problems
- Feeling helpless, guilty, or depressed
- Gambling is interfering with work, family, or relationships
- Feeling guilty or remorseful
- Inability to reduce gambling
Gambling problems typically worsen over time, sometimes catalyzed by life stressors or an increase in gambling frequency.
Like other forms of addiction, many compulsive gamblers do not realize they have a problem. It is important to listen to family and friends who have noticed the gambling has become an issue, and pay attention to the warning signs as gambling begins to have negative impacts on various areas of your life.
Untreated gambling addiction can have long-last negative consequences, including:
- Relationship problems or divorce
- Financial problems, including bankruptcy
- Legal problems or imprisonment
- Job loss or professional stigma
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Poor health
- Mental health disorders, such as depression or anxiety
LCC Treats Gambling Addiction
With effective treatment and counselling, gambling addiction does not have to rule your decisions and your life.
Our caring counsellors and therapists are experienced in helping gambling addicts through psychological treatments such as behaviour therapy and cognitive behavioural therapy. Your LCC therapist will:
- Help you unlearn unwanted behaviours
- Teach you the skills needed to reduce gambling urges
- Identify unhealthy, irrational, and negative beliefs
- Work on cultivating healthy, positive beliefs and behaviours
Your counsellor and therapist will support you as you develop and strive toward treatment targets by promoting real change. In time, you can achieve a healthier and more fulfilling lifestyle that is not controlled by unwanted behaviours.
If you think you are experiencing gambling addiction, we invite you to contact us for a confidential and complimentary 15 minute consultation. We will assess your needs, understand your concerns, and match you with the right therapist. Call 905-231-2273 or submit the form on the right of this page.